Camping Le Vieux Chene - Lake



If you are planning a camping holiday to France and want to sail to North Brittany or Normandy then this site has it all. There are 3 lakes to fish and plenty of onsite facilities for the non-fishing members of the family. Locally there are beaches and excellent tourist attractions like Mont St Michel.

 

I fished the main Lake following advice from the helpful lady on reception, this lake is about 3-4 acres in size and has depths of up to 2m. There were a lot of snags in the water for the Carp to disappear into once hooked and I paid for this on a number of occasions.

 

I managed 6 Carp to around 8lbs (4kilos in local weight!)  which I was told by one of the regulars was small; he said that they go to 12 kilos (around 25lbs). I lost as many as I caught in snags which made my 12lb line seem like cotton!

I decided to fish the deeper dam end of the lake as the wind was blowing in that direction the day before and on the day I fished. I used boilie tactics hair rigged to semi-fixed 2.5oz inline leads, and alternated this with stalking tactics using floating dog biscuits on a freeline in the next peg. Every 30 minutes putting a handful of biscuit's into the next swim, then every 1.5 hour winding in the bottom baits and popping around with the stalking rod to pick off one of the feeding carp - this worked well but I lost several fish in snags.

 

The bottom baits came into their own once I started to introduce pellets over the top of the hookbaits, I am sure if I had stayed in the same areas for another day the bigger fish would have moved in but we had to leave for the next destination!

The "method" would work well on here for the smaller carp fishing alternate hook baits like banded pellet or corn. Pole fishing for the silver fish with maggots and groundbait would be very successful for the kids or if you just like catching anything.

 

The trout were most active early in the morning and late at night; I saw a trout fisherman fly fishing one evening and I would imagine that matching the hatch would be the best approach on a floating line. You will pick up some carp as well offering good sport all round on the fly.

 

I took a walk down to the smallest lake which was situated in a field below the large lake but this was unfishable, possibly 1 peg and it was well silted. I did see about 15 small carp (1-3lb) in this lake.

The medium sized lake at the opposite side of the campsite away from the facilities (the pool bar can get quite noisy with children and music during the day)  would be an idea spot for a quiet days general coarse fishing. We walked to this one evening and saw lots of small fish spotting on the surface at dusk; no sign of bigger fish but there are Carp in there - not as big as the main lake but will offer some good sport.

 

All in all an excellent holiday destination with great fishing at no extra cost!

#Onsitefishing, #fishingfun, #fishing, #camping

Comments

Popular Posts