Pencnwc Holiday Park - Lake

This is a well established lake of about 1.5 acres surrounded by rushes with an island in the middle. It is about a 200 metre walk from the pitches and its also possible to drop off tackle with the car near to the lake. The water was very clear in April 2018 when we arrived and the conditions were not ideal with a cold northernly wind and bitterly cold rain. I had read mixed reports about the fishery and as ever there is very little information available on their website or on the internet however recent reports suggested that the fishing was hard and I had also read reports about a 20lb carp possibly in the lake, other reports said that the lake had been predated by otters so I really didn't know what to expect.

 

With an open mind I spent a good hour walking around the lake using the clear water to my benefit. The water is spring fed and there is a lot of algae growing in the shallower north end of the lake which overall has a depth of no more than 3-4 ft. In the first hour I didn't spot any fish but decided to bait a couple of areas lightly with pellets and boilies, some broken up. I also baited some areas in the edge so that I could monitor if the baits were being eaten; with very little birdlife on the lake this would give me an indication of the fish stock levels.

I fished for 4 hours in the afternoon but was unsuccessful, as evening came 2 fish broke the surface, nothing huge but at least there was some activity.

 

On the following day I arrived at the lake at 3.30 pm after a day out with the family, this day was very different, a lot warmer and no wind - a significant temperature increase on the previous day. There was another lad fishing, not caught anything but had seen active Carp patrolling the island and various other areas of the lake. I walked around and saw 3 groups of fish, all between about 3-5lb in weight, a group of 2 fish patrolling the shallower north end of the lake, a group of 5 fish near the water inlet pipe and about 6-7 fish patrolling the island. I checked the baited areas in the edge and some but not all baits had been eaten, a good sign but in a lake with a high stock level the few baits I had put in the edge should have gone. I also spotted a small shoal of silver fish, possible Roach or Rudd.

 

I fished a number of different zig setups (baits/foam/bugs) and also put out some mixers but the fish were not interested, as the afternoon drew on the fish started to get there heads down near the inlet, I put a bait in the area and the other was placed near the island. The island rod was the one to go, on a 10mm Orange Popup Dumbell shaped boilie to a size 10 hook presented on a D rig with a 12inch 10lb Flourocarbon hooklink (the hook being enough to take the popup down) with a semifixed 1.5oz inline lead, this was fished a foot off the island with a few pouch fulls of 8mm halibut pellets around it. She went well and was about 5lb and once she was popped back that was my fishing done for the holiday.

 



 

Whilst I enjoyed the challenge the low stocking level in the lake makes fishing difficult, especially with the plentiful natural food as well as all the anglers bait going in so in the summer I'd use small areas of bait and try not to over bait as I do not think the stock will take it. Realistically the lake could do with some small Tench and Crusian carp stocking as well as Bream, Roach and Rudd to make this an enjoyable fishery for all - at present only the experienced or lucky will enjoy the fishing. The lake itself is peaceful and tranquil - a nice escape from the remainder of this busy holiday park.

#Onsitefishing, #fishingfun, #fishing, #camping

Comments

Popular Posts